- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2.5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Spray a medium microwave-safe bowl with non-stick spray and set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and milk; blend together. Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; blend into the mixture until smooth. Pour into greased bowl.
- Cover and cook in the microwave on high for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched. To serve, let the cake cool five minutes, then cover the bowl with a plate and turn both bowl and plate upside down so the cake falls onto the plate.
Note: I found this recipe online a long time ago, but I don’t remember where. I think I modified it slightly. For some reason, not all of the cakes turn out right. I have seen one cake cook just like a baked cake from the oven and the next person put in exactly the same ingredients with a cake that looks like gel. I’m not much of a baker, but I think it has something to do with the whipping of the eggs and the way the cocoa makes the cake set up. Also, you can leave out the cocoa to make a white cake, but they don’t seem to turn out as nice as the chocolate cakes.